The Sweet Sound of Bird Song

There's nothing quite like waking up at three in the morning to the sound of birds trilling. That is, unless the "trilling" sounds more like a rooster crow, or geese and ducks that have been excited by the passing of a deer or coyote in the dark.

Don't misunderstand me. I placed the birds far back on the lot, more for my neighbors than myself. That means the birds don't wake me up, but if I happen to be awake when they decide to make a ruckus, they are audible even though my closed windows. I've considered, more than once, getting rid of the noisy geese, but they are so fun to watch I just can't bring myself to do it.

My neighbors say they think the birds are beautiful, so I hope they aren't silently gnashing their teeth when I get home from trips late and the geese decide to extend their greetings to me at eleven p.m.

This morning I went out to let my birds out for the day and saw a couple of Canadian geese flying above my pens--probably no more than forty feet. They held a conversation with my mostly land-bound birds as they passed. My loud mouths never get more than five feet off the ground, and rarely fly anymore, now they are full grown.

There are all kinds of bird noises at my house. Besides the grown chickens, geese, and ducks out back, there are the quail in the fish tank my living room, and my favorite bird noise of all is waking up to peeping coming from the room where I have my incubators.

I love seeing baby birds hatch. This may seem odd if you've never seen it happen, but it can be quite addicting. This addition is the leading reason why I need to list chicks for sale again.

In other news, my sweet husband bought me a desk for my office, which I have been using a lot over the past few days. I'm not sure if it's the newness of the desk or me actually following through with my writing goals, but if feels good.

Speaking of writing goals, I've got a manuscript I'm working on that has been through two rounds of critiques. I'm doing one last serious round of edits before I tackle the final polish. My plan is to submit it before the end of the month. I made it through the first five chapters, adding three thousand words, on Saturday. Sixty-three pages down, only about 200 to go!