LDSBA

This week was the LDS Bookseller Association's annual convention in Salt Lake and I was able to go for the first time. The convention is the place where businesses that sell LDS items send their buyers to make orders. Several publishers were were with some office staff. Lots of authors were on hand to sign books or just talk to people about their books. Other businesses like the one that produces the Living Scriptures videos, jewelry salesmen, Utah Truffles (they had the best tasting display there!) and many others had booths as well. I was excited to get a great deal on a super inexpensive but nice CTR ring, since mine was lost years ago.

As if hanging out with my writing buddies and talking to the publicity people at CFI about my book wasn't enough, I got invited to join some awesome people for lunch. We walked across the street to a little Italian restaurant there by the Megaplex (I can't remember what it was called, but the food was tasty.).
Here I am with Tristi Pinkston and Candace Salima, both great writers who are recently opened Valor Publishing Company with BJ (in third picture).
Candace again with Kirk Shaw (acquisitions editor at Covenant), Heather Moore, James Dashner, amnd Julie Wright.

Julie again, Lisa Mangum (writer and an editor at Deseret Book), Sophie (an intern who works with Lisa--I'd love to put her last name on here if anyone can tell me what it is. I've forgotten), and BJ Rowley, who is a writer and also the third part of Valor Publishing. Somehow I missed getting a picture of J Scott Savage, who was sitting between me and BJ. Bummer. (This is where James would make a comment about how I have a picture of him, so why would I care about getting one of Jeff?)

It was a totally cool lunch and I look forward to getting to know all of these guys better over the next few years. Almost everyone sitting at the table was a member of LDS Storymakers. I've very stoked to join their ranks next month!

But, that wasn't everything. I also had a chance to speak with Utah State Attorney General Mark Shurtleff when he was signing fliers about the book he's publishing this fall with Valor, which I'll tell you more about later this week. I would post the picture I had taken with him, but Tristi hasn't gotten it to me yet.

Anyway, it was a great trip and I look forward to going again next year!

Labels: ,