Orange-Cardamom Cupcakes

If you know me at all, you know how much I love to bake, and cake and cupcakes in particular, so when I found this gourmet cupcake flavor as I looked through offerings as cupcake shops, I thought it was perfect for my book, and even more perfect to develop a version of my own--and let me tell you, these babies are terrific! First I list the quick version--using a box mix, then I'll give you the ingredients for my homemade mix (which I prefer when I do cakes of any kind and I make in bulk for quick use). This cupcake as a light citrus taste with just a touch of cardamom--a perfect combination for my classy concert pianist character Adrianna from Blank Slate.

Adrianna's favorite orange-cardamom cupcakes

1 box of white or yellow cake mix

3/4 C Milk

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

2 tsp orange extract

1 Tbsp orange zest

2 tsp cardamom

Orange food coloring

Mix all ingredients and separate into prepared cupcake pans. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until the edges start to turn golden. Makes about 20 regular-sized cupcakes.

From scratch cupcake mix (to use instead of the box mix), and add the rest of the above ingredients.

1 1/2 cups flour

1 1/4 cups sugar

2 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cups butter, margarine, or shortening

When I make this in bulk, I mix all of the dry ingredients, then cut in the shortening with a pastry blender, but you can soften your butter or margarine and cream it with the butter, add the eggs and milk from the above recipe and then add the other ingredients one at a time, saving the flour for last, adding at half-cup increments. Bake according to directions above.

Frost with your favorite frosting. Adrianna prefers cream cheese, but vanilla is almost as good!